Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Savory Sunday Morning...

It's a lazy Sunday morning. I woke up for early service, but had already decided to go to late service with a friend. So, I've been enjoying the rare phenomenon of a lazy morning.

I've got a cup of Irish Breakfast tea. It's strong and a little earthy, just like the rolling hills of Ireland and the strong Irishmen who plow those hills. It slowly wakes me up, and this morning I have the time to savor it's earthy aroma. I don't have to chug it for the quickest caffeine intake possible. This is how tea was meant to be enjoyed.

I've been in a state of anxiety and stress for the past two months, for various reasons, but most of them pertaining to work. Everything is changing, and I can't quite figure out what's going on or what I need to do about it. Unfortunately, at my job I don't have the option of taking it slowly and savoring the experience. I kind of have to chug it.

But in my Jesus Calling devotional book this morning it says:
"On days when your plans are thwarted, be on the lookout for Me! I may be doing something important in your life, something quite different than what you expected....stay in communication with me, accepting My way as better than yours. Don't try to figure out what is happening. Simply trust Me and thank Me in advance for the good that will come out of it all. I know the plans I have for you and they are good." (on a later day, because I had the time to read ahead this morning),"Anything that makes you anxious is a growth opportunity. Instead of running away from these challenges, embrace them, eager to gain all the blessings I have hidden in the difficulties...trust Me in all situations. Don't waste energy regretting the way things are or thinking about what might have been."  

I've been approaching life over the last few months they way I approach tea and coffee in the morning. Chug it and get the benefits as quickly as possible! But that's not the way tea and coffee are meant to be experienced. They are to be enjoyed. The benefit is in the aroma, the flowing and intricate blend of flavors, the warmth as it flows down your throat to your belly and slowly fills you up. The same is true for life. Instead of doing my best to rush through the stress and chaos of work/life right now, I need to slow down, notice the process. It's in the process that God's flowing and intricate plan is made. And it is a good plan. There is something here for me to learn, about me, about God, about process... and in trying to miss the pain I might miss the beauty God is trying to reveal to me.

Now, that is all very easy to notice and appreciate on this Sunday morning, when I have some down time. But the true test will be Monday morning when I have to rush off to work, chug my coffee before group, and survive another day in my world right now.

But, even if I'm not perfect, I will be more aware. Because I desire more than surviving. I desire to LIVE. And live I shall, even if it's slow, even if it hurts. Because God is good, and that never changes.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment